I just got onto the overnight oats wagon.
Funny story, I didn’t realize I had been thinking and saying “chai” when reading the chia seed container until Ryan called me out on it. He then followed by asking if it was the same chia seeds that you’d grown into green pets when we were kids. I’m guessing it’s the same thing but I haven’t been motivated to google it yet. One moment…
Yes they are! And you can apparently grow them into micro-greens to add to salads. The more you know [insert theme music here]
Okay, on to actually talking about the recipe. All you need are:
These overnight oats are filling, refreshing and have a hint of chocolate without being overly sweet. I could see adding strawberries or raspberries on top and making it a real treat.
It is incredibly easy to whip up a batch on a Sunday evening for a full work week of breakfasts. And in this hot summer, I am so happy to have a nutritious, filling breakfast that doesn’t require turning on the stove and is best straight from the fridge.
I adapted a recipe from Flavor the Moments to make my version.
Chocolate Chia Overnight Oats
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 8 hours or Overnight
Makes: 5 8oz servings
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 1/4 cups chocolate almond milk
- 3 heaping tablespoons shredded coconut
- top with coconut flakes
- Combine oats, chia seeds, almond milk, and coconut in a large bowl. Stir until combined.
- Cover and store in the fridge overnight or for 8 hours.
- The next morning, or after 8 hours, stir together and serve. Top with coconut flakes